Hong Kong Museum of Medical Science (Old Pathological Institute)
This red-brick structure in Edwardian architectural style was the work of Hong Kong architect in the early 20th
century. The elegant ceiling of front entrance lobby was decorated with plastered design. Built in 1905 and opened in 1906, it was used for bacteriological examination, and was the first purpose-built building for public health in Hong Kong. The government opened this Bacteriological Institute to control the Plague, which broke out in the then City of Victoria (Central, Admiralty, Wan Chai and Causeway Bay area today), and later produced vaccine at the same premises. Senior students or graduates of Hong Kong College of Medicine were hired to assist bacteriologist of the government to dissect mice and collect data from them. After WWII, it was renamed the Pathological Institute, which moved out of the building in 1972, and the building was used for medical storage for the Department of Health since then. It was converted into the Hong Kong Museum of Medical Science in 1995.
The Museum exhibits relics, photos, models, wax figure and animal samples to demonstrate the development of medical and health science in Hong Kong. One thing worth noting is that this is where Chinese and Western pathology were first compared. It also introduces Chinese medicine in Hong Kong.
Opening Hours:(Closed until February, 2017 )
Address: 2 Caine Lane, Mid-Levels, Sheung Wan, Hong Kong
Telephone: 2549 5123
Admission: $20(Adult), $10 (Disable, Senior aged 60 or above, Full-time students), $50(Families)
Barrier Free guide
Tai Ping Shan Medical Heritage Trail
Buses 23, 23A, 23B, 40, 40M outside Pacific Place or 12M at Tamar Street in Admiralty and get off at Ladder Street,
Take buses 40M and 103 or mini buses 8, 10, 22, 28 and 31 and get off at the bus station at Ladder Street in Caine Road, then across the zebra road and trun to Cain Road after going down the Ladder Street.