Located opposite to the Hau Wong Temple, the Stone Houses are listed as Grade III historic building. The site once housed a 2-storey European structure, with a garden, called “Ho Mansion” by the Ho family from 1880 to 1890. In the 40s, when Japanese occupied Kowloon City, they demolished many villages to expand the Kai Tak Airport. Afterwards, in the area between Ho Mansion and Junction Road, a 2-storey resettlement project was built with granite, and the project was called Hau Wong New village. From the 50s to the 90s, this place had been film studios, different factory workshops and tombstone factories, such as Nam Yan Kee Grave & Tombstone Construction Company.
The project was cleared in 2001, and only the Stone Houses remain.
The Stone Houses are 5 connected units of Chinese village houses. The roof is built by timber battens resting on purlins and covered with Chinese tiles. The doors are of Chinese style, with timber panel and timber locks with granite sockets. Kitchen and toilets are at the back of the house.
In 2010, the site was revitalized by Wing Kwong So-care Company Limited. After 2 years of restoration work, the most structurally intact house no. 32, which has the dry toilet, kitchen and chimney preserved, was selected to be the Interpretation Center. The Center showcases belongings of the residents and short films to let visitors catch a glimpse of what life was like in the old days. House no. 34, which used to be a maternity ward, is now connected with no 33 and 35 to become an “Ice Room.” (i.e. a traditional Hong Kong coffee house)
Closed on Monday and public holidays
Address：133 Junction Road, Kowloon City, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Telephone：23250111 /23250131 (Café)
Stone Houses Guided Tours
Tue to Sat 10:30 & 14:30
10:30am , 14:30pm(Tue-Sat) AND 2:30pm(Sun)
Daily guided tours must be pre-registered. Maximum 25 people per tour.
MTR : Lok Fu Station Exit B
Bus: 1, 10, 11D, 11K, 75X, 7B, 85, 85A, 85B, 113,891
Mini Bus: 13, 39M, 66S