Menu
Lui Seng Chun
 
Lui Leung, one of the founders of Kowloon Motor Bus Company Ltd., purchased a piece of land in 119 Lai Chi Kok Road in 1929. He appointed W. H. Bourne to design Lui Seng Chun at the address and construction was finished in 1931. A four-storey building, its ground floor wass used as a Chinese medicine shop by Lui’s friend Lui Shui Tak, and the upper floors were living quarters for the Lui family. After more than 30 years, the building became abandoned in the 80s.
 
Lui Seng Chun is a rare example of Tong Lau with veranda so big that horses can run on it. This architectural style was popular in coast of Guangdong Province in the 19th and 20th century. The European-styled columns and engravings, Manchurian windows, large Chinese doors, all contributed to the characteristics of this kind of Tong Lau. In 2003, the Lui family gave the building to the government for restoration and preservation. In 2008, Hong Kong Baptist University acquired funding from the government to revitalize the building into a Chinese medicine and healthcare center—Hong Kong Baptist University School of Chinese Medicine—Lui Seng Chun.
 
Opening Hours
 
Address: 119 Lai Chi Kok Road, Mong Kok, Kowloon
 
Telephone: 3411 0628
 
Email: lsccmc@hkbu.edu.hk
 
Admission: free for visit
 
Transportation: MTR Prince Edward Station Exit C2
Barrier Free Guide: Lift reaches every level
 
Learn more:
Golden Age Magazine:活化古蹟 重現杏林(Chinese version only)
Free Guided Tour