Menu
Tung Wah Museum

Tung Wah Museum was originally the main hall of Kwong Wah Hospital, a mixture of traditional Chinese architecture and Western architecture of the 1900s. Kwong Wah Hospital was initiated by the directors of the Tung Wah Hospitals at the time and community leaders of Kowloon. Tung Wah Hospital, Kwong Wah Hospital and Eastern Tung Wah Hospital were combined into Tung Wah Group of Hospitals in 1931. In 1958, Kwong Wah Hospital underwent a complete reconstruction, only the Main Hall Building was preserved. In 1970, to commemorate the 100th anniversary of TWGH, the Main Hall Building was officially renamed Tung Wah Museum to systematically collect and catalog relics and literature of TWGH. It has been open to public since 1993.

The Museum has a symmetrical floor plan, having the lobby in the middle with side halls on both sides. Patients used to register at the main hall, and waited for consultation in the side halls. Wall are built in green bricks and the wooden doors are kept. In the middle of the main hall is the ancestral tablet of  Shennong, and many plaques and couplets which show the contribution of TWGH to the community since the early days of Hong Kong as an open port. In particular is the plague on the corridor of the 2nd floor, which was given to Li Hongzhang on the 10th year of Guangshui’s reign. The 2nd floor, however, how houses the archive and library and is not open to public.

Opening Hours:
10:00am-6:00pm(Monday to Sataurday)
(Closed on Sunday and public holidays)
**will be temporarily closed from 19 June 2016 to 31 December 2018
Address: Kwong Wah Hospital, 25 Waterloo Road, Kowloon
Telphone:2770 0867
Transportation:
  1. 港鐵油麻地站A2出口
  2. 九巴
    7 尖沙咀碼頭 - 樂富
    8 尖沙咀碼頭 - 九龍站
    10 彩雲 - 大角咀(循環線)
    81C 耀安 - 尖沙咀東(麼地道)
    208 廣播道 - 尖沙咀東
    270A 上水 - 尖沙咀東(麼地道)
    271 271富亨 - 尖沙咀(廣東道)
  3. 專線小巴
    21K 大角咀(櫻桃街) - 旺角東站(循環線)
    74 九龍站 - 旺角(聯運街)(循環線)

More information:
古物古蹟辦事處
古物諮詢委員會:東華三院文物館的歷史