Emergency What's News Special Offer

How to select a suitable Residential Care Home for the Elderly (RCHE)?


What should be the criteria for selecting a suitable RCHE among the many different types of RCHEs in the territory? Here are some useful websites for your reference.


Social Welfare Department (SWD):

Tips for Choosing RCHEs and Ways to Adjust to Group Living in RCHEs


Hong Kong Housing Society's Website for Elderly Services:


Helping elders adapt to residential care

The traditional Chinese concept of home is of much significance that it has never been easy for elders to leave their children and their own homes where they have lived for decades. Thus older people have to be conceptually, emotionally and mentally prepared for moving into an RCHE, which is hardly home sweet home to them. The Department of Health's website on Elderly Health Service has given some advice on how family members and nursing home staff could assist elders in their adaptation to residential care. You may wish to refer to the following for details.


Helping elders adjust to long term care


Residential Care Homes (Elderly Persons) Ordinance and Complaints

Regarding the licensing and staffing of RCHEs as well as guidelines on drug management and prevention of communicable diseases in RCHEs, please visit the SWD website.

Suggestions/complaints concerning services of RCHEs

Tel.: 2961 7211/2834 7414

SWD Hotline: 2343 2255

Address: Room 2354, 23/F, Wu Chung House, 213 Queen's Road East, Wan Chai, Hong Kong


Hong Kong Association of Gerontology