Small animals always give people a very warm and comforting feeling. In Hong Kong, one in every five families is raising small animals, and the ones responsible for caring for small animals are many of the parents of young people who have bought small animals on impulse, today's green age. Because small animals can provide companionship, many people who have retired have come to enjoy raising pets at home, especially kittens and puppies.

Pets don't say that they can raise them. First of all, they need to measure whether they have a strong sense of responsibility for them. After all, they are also living things, and they can't just be recruited. In addition, the number of cats and dogs is constantly multiplying, and we must consider their future before we raise pets, including sterilization for them.
Parenting Tips:

In Hong Kong, dogs five months or older must obtain a dog license for microchip identification and be vaccinated for rabies. These are available at any animal management centres under the AFCD. The application can be processed together with the licensing centre. You can also apply through a registered private veterinary clinic or the Animal Care Association. If the address of a dog or a keeper is changed, the dog owner must notify the AFCD within five days.
Before deciding to get a pet it is necessary to first ask whether your building allows tenants to raise small pets. The public housing estates only allow small family that will not cause environmental hygiene problems. However, if a tenant needs to have a service dog, such as a guide dog to assist visually impaired and hearing impaired persons, or residents have a recommendation by a doctor for a companion dog, you can apply to the Housing Authority.

You can do some research to understand the level of care and cost required to keep different pets, and decide which kind of pet to keep according to your ability.
Before bringing the animals home, you should prepare the necessary food and cleaning supplies, especially a suitable small comb, create a reasonable space for them. Put a little water and food within reach to create a feeling of relaxation and to help them adapt to their new environment as soon as possible.

  • Pay attention to their nutritional needs. If they are not willing to eat, try to make some changes. If they still refuse to eat, you should take them to the vet.
  • If you have a puppy, you should take it out every day. When the weather is cold, it can wear a small vest, small socks, and even a small hat. Very cute!
  • The fur of the puppies should be kept smooth, but you don’t have to wash it all the time. Depending on the quality of the hair, it is usually once a month is enough, but when you go home, you have to clean your feet before letting it go everywhere. Grooming and clipping are usually done once every 6 to 8 weeks, depending on the situation.
  • Breeding small animals must be conceived for others to ensure that they do not cause nuisance or health problems, and often clean the body and groom the hair, ensure that the home is kept clean, vaccinate the pet, and treat it early in case of injury. In case of an emergency, you can go to the 24-hour emergency veterinary clinic in each district for help.
  • When you touch dogs and cats, don't stand up and reach down from the heights, which will make them think you want to hit them. The best way is to kneel down, lift your hands, palms up, and call them close, as if you have good food in your hand to feed them. (Excerpt from Sarah Jane Ho - born elegant)
  • Also, don't feed food to them while you eat because they will form bad habits! From now on, when you eat, it will come to eat on time. Also don't arbitrarily feed any meat to the dog because its body will have an unpleasant smell. (Excerpt from Sarah Jane Ho - born elegant)
  • If you have to leave them, you must entrust your pets to someone responsible, and prepare contact numbers for all the food, toys and veterinarians which may be needed while you are away.
  • As a pet owner, you have a responsibility to keep your pets well cared for. Any act that exposes animals to unnecessary suffering is illegal. If you find any animal cruelty case, you can call 1823 to report it.
Related website